MAKING STRIDES AGAINST BREAST CANCER
An annual auction put on every October by the ladies of Psi to promote breast cancer awareness, education, and raise funds. All of our proceeds from the Hush-Hush Auction are donated to the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer and sisters who are experiencing breast cancer.
Breast Cancer Facts
1. In the US, 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
2. The most significant risk factors for breast cancer are being female and aging. About 95% of all breast cancers in the US occur in women 40 and older.
3. Women who get regularly screened for breast cancer have a 47% lower risk of dying from the disease compared to those who don’t.
4. Breast cancer deaths have been declining since 1990 thanks to early detection, better screening, increased awareness, and new treatment options.
5. Each year it is estimated that over 220,000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,000 will die.
6. Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death among women in the US and the first leading cause of cancer death among women globally.
7. In the US today, there are more than 3.5 million breast cancer survivors — the largest group of all cancer survivors.
8. Every 2 minutes, a woman is diagnosed with breast cancer in the US.
9. Every minute, somewhere in the world, a woman dies from breast cancer. That’s more than 1,400 women every day
10. A man’s lifetime risk of breast cancer is about 1 in 1,000.
11. Each year, it’s expected that about 2,670 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer in the US, and about 500 will die.